Or, consider other cards for 50,000 more miles or points that transfer into United miles with additional flexibility for your everyday spending.
Earn 80,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening.
$1,000 toward travel or transfer to United, Southwest, and more.
That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards® or 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs.
For those of you with American Express Membership Rewards eligible cards, including the The Platinum Card and Gold Card …you now get a 50% bonus on points transferred to British Airways miles. This offer is good through July 30th, 2011. Simply login to your account at membershiprewards.com and you’ll see the offer listed when you try to transfer miles. Remember, British Airways points are valid for travel on American Airlines, Cathay Pacific, LAN, Japan Airlines, and others. In fact, you’ll face fewer fees if you choose *not* to book on British Airways flights. No special signup is needed, though you can only take advantage of the offer once.
There are two ways to think about this:
1. Simply transfer points you already have…and enjoy the extra value.
2. Purchase Membership Rewards points…at $25 per 1,000 up to 500,000 per year….the transfer them, earning the bonus. This equates to buying miles at about 1.7 cents per mile.
Why would purchasing points make sense?
There are several rewards from the British Airways program that can be valuable if you plan to purchase miles at what works out to 1.7 cents per mile…
– 50,000 miles for a roundtrip ticket to Asia on a single partner carrier (Cathay Pacific, American Airlines, or Japan Airlines) — at buying the miles for less than $800 that compares to $1,200 or more for many destinations
– 40,000 miles for a roundtrip from the U.S. to anywhere in South America, as long as you use a single partner airline (American, LAN, or British Airways). These tickets often cost $1,000 or more, so paying less than $700 for the points to redeem the flight can be a good bargain.
– 50,000 miles for a roundtrip first/business class ticket in the U.S. — which can cost $1,000 or more if you purchase it outright — available for just over $800 if you pay for the miles.
Purchasing miles outright isn’t for everyone, but if you plan to make the trip, can find award availability, and see that the cash cost of the ticket would be higher than buying the miles required at the discounted 1.7 cent per mile rate, then have at it. Note that mile transfers from Membership Rewards are usually quick, and British Airways can hold a reward for you if needed.
Follow @MileCards on Twitter for the latest updates and new offers
Foreign Transaction Fee Waived
Points Can Transfer to Airline Miles ?
Leave a comment below -- we'll reply shortly -- no need to use your real name. Or, use the email form at the top of the page for private advice.
"These responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered."