New LAX United Club doubles in size in 2015
We love United MileagePlus® miles – they’re the most useful and flexible for us.
But United gets a bad rap for dated facilities and less reliable customer service than some of the other airlines. That’s why we were glad to read United is planning a major upgrade to its big operation at LAX.
Here’s the plan…
- Construction of a new United Club on a new floor above the current United Club. It will be 29,000 square feet, more than double the size of the current club at 13,000 square feet.
- The existing Global First lounge will close, but will relocate to ‘within’ the new larger United Club. It’s also reported the club at Terminal 6 will close as well, this was a former President’s Club. The new club appears larger than all 3 combined.
- There will be an escalator built to access the new upper level club – no stairs or elevator required
- The ground level security checkpoints which are currently a snaking mess will consolidate. The proposed consolidation will result in two locations for passengers to go through security. A small five-lane check point will be located at the eastern end of Terminal 7 for passengers going to Concourse 8, and the primary checkpoint of 12 lanes to be consolidated at the north end of the Terminal 7 concourse.
- The main ticketing lobby will be remodeled, though the current Premier check-in area is not part of the scope of the project
- The moving walkway areas between Terminal 7 and 6 and 8 will be upgraded
- The project is slated to get underway late this year and continue through 2015
- The rest of the terminal will remain largely untouched, including the gate areas themselves
This is good news for United travelers in LAX, where American and Delta have much more pleasant terminals. It will also mean United’s club is the largest at the airport, taking some of the sting out of a coming downgrade in free drinks.
It goes to the airport board for approval on September 17th, and since the airport is footing the vast majority of the cost it’s probably an easy approval.