Some Delta SkyMiles credit cards offer a popular companion ticket feature that can save you several hundred dollars, if you know how to play the rules. But they can also be quite frustrating if you don’t know what you’re really getting. Here are answers to some of the most frequent questions we get about the fine print that’s on the certificates:
- What credit cards offer the ticket? The Platinum Delta SkyMiles® and Delta Reserve credit cards offer one companion ticket each year you renew the card. The Platinum lets you get free coach travel. The Reserve lets you get either coach or first class. The Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card used to offer the feature, but no longer does. Existing Gold cardmembers get one more certificate this year (2013) before the program is terminated.
- Where can you travel? Your travel must be entirely in the lower 48 United States. The exception is residents of Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico, who can use it for travel to the lower 48 United States. Residents of the lower 48 *cannot* use the ticket for travel to Hawaii, Alaska, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Canada. Just within the mainland United States.
- How can you book a ticket? You can log in to Delta.com with your SkyMiles number to view your certificates and book them. Click here for an illustrated walk through of how to book a Delta companion ticket.
- What kind of ticket must be available? There is no minimum dollar amount you must spend, but there must be availability in specific fare ‘codes.’ The lettered codes that are eligible are ‘L, U, T’. For the Reserve, which allows first class companion tickets, the codes ‘A’ and ‘I’ are also eligible. These are the lowest fares Delta offers, so not every flight will have space at these fare codes left. If you plan ahead though, you have a good shot at finding them. When you search at Delta.com after selecting your certificate, it will automatically only show the fares that are eligible for the discount, so you don’t have to remember the codes. Most of these fares require an advance purchase of up to 14 days, a 3 night minimum stay and a 30-day maximum stay.
- Changing the ticket. There is a $200 fee for each passenger to change dates, for $400 total. The eligible fare codes must be available on the new flights you are requesting.
- What happens if you lose your certificate? No worries, the certificates are available online. Just follow this link at Delta.com and you can look them up by your SkyMiles number.
- What if one person can’t travel anymore? Unfortunately, if one person can’t travel, both tickets will be cancelled. There is a $200 fee to have the remaining value of the cash ticket you paid for saved for a future flight. The companion ticket will be void and can’t be reapplied.
- Who can use the companion ticket? You can assign the companion ticket to anyone. In fact, you the cardholder don’t need to be flying, and don’t need to use your Delta credit card to purchase your ticket.
- Will you earn miles? Yes, you will earn SkyMiles® on the first, cash paid ticket. But you won’t be eligible for Medallion elite upgrades if you are an elite member of SkyMiles. You also can’t use your miles to upgrade either ticket.
- Can you return from a different city? No, your travel must be a pure round trip to and from the same two cities.
- Can you travel in first class? Only the certificate from the Delta Reserve card allows you to book tickets in first class.
> Delta Platinum SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express
> Delta Reserve Card
The following two tabs change content below.
Miles dont expireas long as card is open
50,000 bonus points
$0 introductory annual fee, then $95