How Chase Sapphire Preferred mile transfer works (illustrated)
Our favorite feature of the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card (link to bonus mile offer application) is the ability to transfer points 1:1, most of the time instantly, into several lucrative airline and hotel point programs. They include
- United Airlines
- Southwest Airlines
- British Airways
- Korean Airlines
- Virgin Atlantic
- IHG Hotels
- Ritz Carlton
Here’s how the transfer works…
1. Have an account set up in the partner you want to transfer into. It’s free if you don’t already have one. But if you do have one with points, make sure you find the account number for that one so you’re adding to your existing points. The account can be a family member or friend’s too if you want to add to theirs.
2. Log into your account at www.UltimateRewards.com. It’s the same login you use to manage your credit card bill with Chase.
3. Choose ‘Transfer Points to Travel Partners’
4. Select the partner to which you want to transfer points
5. Enter the amount you want to transfer and the account to which you wish to transfer .
That’s it, your points will show up in your mileage account shortly, generally it’s an instant transfer.
A few things to keep in mind…
- Once a transfer is executed you can’t reverse it — so make sure you’re sending it to the right account and double check the name and account number
- You can send points to accounts in your name, as well as your spouse
- Point transfers are generally in 1,000 point increments — consider doing a test transfer of 1,000 points before doing a bigger one to make sure you’ve entered the right account information.
- You can transfer points from you and your spouse’s / domestic partner’s other Chase Ultimate Rewards accounts (like a Chase Freedom or Ink Bold account) into your Sapphire Preferred® Card’s Ultimate Rewards account. That lets you transfer even more miles over to the airline and hotel partners. Read more about it here.
- There is no fee for the transfer, and you can do it as many times as you’d like.
A few more articles that may be helpful…