Here is a comprehensive list of benefits — large and small — associated with the United MileagePlus® Explorer credit card. They are subject to change and are compiled by MileCards.com, not Chase. For the latest information call the number on the back of your card to verify benefits. Unless otherwise specified, you must use the card for a purchase to receive the benefit on that purchase.
See how other United credit card options stack up here.
- 2 points per dollar spent on United purchases.
- 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- 10,000 annual mile bonus. When you spend $25,000 in any given calendar year. That’s like earning 1.4 miles per dollar on your first $25,000 of spending a year.
- Miles don’t expire. As long as you are a United credit card holder. Normally, inactive miles expire after 18 months.
United Travel Benefits
- First checked bag free (a $50 savings per roundtrip per person). For you and a companion on your reservation. Eligible customers may receive their applicable standard checked bag free on flights operated by United only; code share flights are not eligible. The primary cardmember’s MileagePlus account number must be listed in their reservation and they must pay for their tickets with their qualifying United MileagePlus credit card.
- Priority Boarding. You can board United flights with its Premier Gold and Silver flyers and before general boarding in Zone 2.
- United Club day passes. Receive 2 day passes to the United Club at the airport. These were formerly known as Red Carpet Clubs and Presidents Clubs. Passes are awarded each year on the anniversary date of your card.
- Reward ticket upgrades (Premier level flyers only). If you are a United Premier member, you will be eligible for domestic upgrades in the same way you would if you bought a cash ticket. This benefit will roll out by early 2012 and is only available to United credit card holders.
- Last seat mile ticket availability. As a United Explorer credit card holder you can book with miles up to the very last seat on the flight at the premium ‘standard’ award level
Other Travel Benefits
- No foreign transaction fees. Waived on all purchases made outside the United States.
- Free breakfast / upgrades at Luxury Hotel Collection. When you book using LHRCollection.com you receive breakfast for two daily, a room upgrade, if available at check-in, early check-in and late check-out, if available, and a very special amenity unique to every property such as lunch or dinner for two, a spa treatment, a round of golf, airport transfers or an experience of a lifetime. This is similar to the Fine Hotels benefit of the $450 Platinum Card from American Express.
- Trip delay coverage. Up to $500 in reimbursement for reasonable expenses when your flight is delayed by 12 hours or more by weather, mechanical, or other qualified events. Coverage applies to all common carrier airlines, not just United, when you use your card to pay for at least part of your ticket.
- Car rental collision insurance. Most vehicles are covered with the exception of ‘expensive, exotic, and antique’ vehicles like Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Porsche, and Rolls Royce. Select models of BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, and Lincoln are covered. Some vans, vehicles with an open cargo bed, trucks, motorcycles, opeds, limousines, and RVs are also excluded. Israel, Jamaica, and Ireland are excluded from the benefit.
- $10,000 trip cancellation insurance. If you are genuinely unable to travel due to doctor-verified illness (not pre-existing), death, or injury of yourself or an immediate family member, you can receive a refund of the nonrefundable portion of your travel expenses.
- $300 delayed baggage coverage. If your baggage is delayed more than 18 hours from your arrival, you can be reimbursed for $100 per day of expenses to buy essential clothing, toiletries, etc in the interim for up to three days. This is coverage the airlines themselves will often not provide. Note that most medical essentials like contact lenses and dentures are not covered.
- $3,000 lost or damaged luggage reimbursement. Coverage in excess of any reimbursement from the airline or other insurance you carry. Exclusions include cameras, glases / contacts, tickets, money / documents, precious metals except personal jewelry.
- Roadside assistance. Call 1-866-359-5402, available for help when you are more than 50 miles away from home in the U.S. and Canada. Covers maximum of $50 per event, up to four per year. Includes battery boost, flat tire service, fuel delivery, towing, and lockout assistance.
- Travel accident insurance. Up to $500,000 in coverage for accidental loss of life, limb, sight, speech, or hearing that occurs while a passenger, or on the way to and from your departure and arrival point.
- Inside Access Events. Chase regularly offers tickets to events and experiences available for purchase only by cardholders. See http://www.insideaccessfromchase.com/Event.aspx for current event listings.
- Free wine tasting. Over 60 wineries in Napa and Sonoma County offer 2 complimentary tastings per card holder and discounts on wine purchased in person at the winery.
- Discounts and free shipping. Many online merchants offer special discounts and shipping offers for Visa Signature card holders, see this link for details.
- Extended warranty. Doubles manufacturer’s warranty up to one additional year on warranties of 3 years or less. Boats, software, medical equipment, business equipment, real estate items, and used items are not covered. Gifts are covered. You must keep your receipt and the warranty on file.
- Price protection. If you buy an item with the card and see a print ad or non-auction online ad with a lower price within 90 days or purchase you can receive a refund of the difference, up to $500. per item, $1,500 per year. Cars, plants, cell phone plans, jewelry, real estate, and used items are among those excluded. Purchase must be made in the U.S.
- Purchase protection. If an item you buy with the card is stolen, lost, damaged, or involuntarily parted (you know where it is, but it’s not recoverable) within 90 days of purchase, you can receive up to $10,000 per item ($50,000 per year). ‘Mysterious disappearances’ with no evidence of a wrongful acts are excluded, as are items being transported/delivered, and losses from checked baggage, among others. This coverage is in excess of any insurance coverage you already have, which will be considered first. You must file a police report within 48 hours for theft, or include a fire, insurance, or loss report.
- Return protection. If you decide to return an item with in 90 days and the store won’t take it back you can receive up to $300 per item ($1,000 per year). Software, motor vehicles, cash, formal attire, jewelry, medical equipment, perishables, and real estate items are excluded.
- Identity theft protection. $1,000 in coverage toward expenses to restore your identity if it’s stolen. Includes up to 4 credit reports after the event, re-filing costs, notary fees, and lost wages for time away from work to amend or verify records.
Annual Fee: None the first year, $95 per year thereafter.
The following two tabs change content below.
Follow @MileCards on Twitter for the latest updates and new offers