NOTE: As of March 2012, new applications for the Continental Presidential Plus credit card are no longer being accepted with the completion of the United Airlines / Continental Airlines merger.
- If you are an existing Presidential Plus card holder: Your benefits will not change, and you can continue to use your card as long as you keep the account in good standing. Chase and United are honoring the benefits, including elite qualifying mile earning.
- If you do not have a Presdiential Plus card, the replacement is the United Club Card. It is nearly identical except 1) it no longer earns elite qualifying miles, and 2) it earns 1.5 miles per dollar spent instead of the basic 1 mile per dollar spent of the old Presidential Plus. Read a full review here.
Features [CARD NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS]
Annual fee: $395
Intro Bonus: $95 statement credit after first purchase. (Note: Some people are reporting an offer with the first year completely free)
Earning: 1 mile per dollar spent
Foreign Exchange Transaction Fee: Waived
Miles can be used for travel with: Continental Airlines, United Airlines, US Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Lufthansa, Air Canada, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asia Air, BMI, Singapore, South African, Qantas, Emirates, Swiss, Thai, and many more.
- Airport Club access: The card gives you access to all Continental, United, and US Airways airport lounges, in addition to hundreds of Star Alliance parnter lounges worldwide when travelling on a Star Alliance ticket. Typically this access alone can cost you $400 or more per year.
- Earn 1,000 Flex Elite Qualification Miles (Flex EQMs) for every $5,000 in purchases. These miles are valid to use for 3 calendar years. You can use them toward the first 75,000 qualifying miles in any given calendar year. [No longer available to new card accounts - only those with Presidential Plus cards prior to the launch of the United Club credit card have this benefit]
- First *and* second checked bag fee waived: A savings of up to $120 per roundtrip on BOTH United and Continental, for up to 2 people in your reservation.
- PremierAccess Benefits: Priority boarding on all United flights and priority security access at airports with PremierAccess lanes. United priority benefits are also now active.
- Hyatt Hotels Platinum status: Offering bonus points with every stay and preferred room options.
- Primary car rental insurance. Collision coverage applies without having to use your personal policy.
Our review: Good deal for non-elite, but frequent United/US Airways travelers
If airport lounge access is important to you and you frequently travel with United or US Airways, this card gives you access to both for one price. If you are not yet an ‘elite’ member of their programs, the first and second bag checked fee waiver is valuable — worth up to $120 per roundtrip on United or Continental, while the priority airport services give you the same shorter lines elite members enjoy.
Otherwise United offers the lower fee United Mileage Plus Explorer credit cardwith simple mileage earning, a first checked bag fee waived on United, priority boarding, two club passes, and similar travel protection benefits. Click here to see a full comparison of all United Airlines credit cards.
Follow @MileCards on Twitter for the latest updates and new offers