We know you like to dig into all of the benefits premium cards offer, so we at MileCards.com have complied a comprehensive list of U.S. based features and benefits for The Platinum Card® from American Express — to review whether you are a current card member or thinking of applying.
We also include links to resources from online communities detailing experiences with American Express Platinum Card benefits.
First, the basics:
- No foreign transaction fees. No matter what country you’re in, when you use your Platinum Card there are no Foreign Transaction Fees.
- 24/7 Platinum Card® Concierge service for assistance with reservations, travel, gifts, and more.
- Premium Access. Gain exclusive access to unique experiences from special entry to food festivals to VIP packages at concerts.
- Terms and restrictions apply.
- See Rates And Fees
Travel Privileges: Airline
- Airport club access (U.S. airlines): Entry for you at all Delta Sky Clubs when flying Delta, and for you and 2 guests or your spouse and children at all American Express Centurion Lounges, which are currently in the Dallas, Las Vegas, New York-La Guardia, Miami, Seattle, and San Francisco airports.
- Airport club access (worldwide): You can sign up to receive free Priority Pass Select™ membership (usually $399 if purchased alone). This offers entry to over 600 airport clubs worldwide. Basically a club or more in every major airport, regardless of the airline you travel. Entry is for yourself, and up to two guests.
- $200 annual airline credit. Receive up to $200 annually in a statement credit with the airline of your choice to use towards baggage fees, flight-change fees, in-flight food and beverage purchases and more
- Global Entry fee rebate. American Express will refund the $100 cost to enroll in Global Entry , the program that lets you bypass U.S. immigration lines at U.S. airports by swiping your passport at a kiosk. It’s a magnificent time saver.
- Membership Rewards First. You have the ability to transfer your points into miles in over 20 airline and hotel programs, most 1 for 1, and many with instant transfer. Airlines include Delta, Air Canada, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, JetBlue, Air France / KLM, AeroMexico, AirTran, ANA, ElAl, Hawaiian, Iberia, and Singapore Airlines. Hotels include Choice Hotels (Comfort Inn, Clarion, Econolodge), Hilton, and Best Western.
- Receive a companion ticket for discounted travel when you purchase a qualifying First- or Business-Class international ticket. Additional charges/taxes apply. You must buy a ‘full fare’ ticket — call Platinum Travel Services at the number on the back of your card to check fares, but note that sometimes it’s cheaper to buy 2 discounted First/Business class tickets than to use this 2 for 1 offer. Over 20 airlines participate in the program and there are no blackout dates.
- Toronto Pearson Airport Priority Lane. You have access to the express security screening lanes at Toronto’s airport, normally reserved for the most frequent of flyers.
Travel Privileges: Car Rental
- National Car Rental Executive status. This normally requires 12 rentals per year, but entitles you to a guaranteed premium class car at a full size price, often saving $30-$50 per day. You also have access to the airport ‘Executive Selection’ at a mid size price, which often includes premium class cars and SUVs.
- Hertz 4 hour grace period. Normally Hertz offers a 30 minute grace period when you return your car. If you book using your Platinum Card code, you get a 4 hour grace period. Just make sure you call Hertz to say you are a Platinum Card member and they’ll input the code into your profile.
- Hertz #1 Club Gold Membership. This normally costs $60 per year, your car is ready in the stall when you arrive, and your name in lights on the board. No need to go to the counter.
Travel Privileges: Hotel
- Starwood Hotels Gold status. Offers 4pm late check out and select room upgrades at Starwood hotels (Sheraton, W, Westin, Le Meridien, Four Points, St. Regis). Normally requires 10 stays per year to qualify.
- Hilton Honors Gold status. Get free breakfast or lounge access, and room upgrades. Register your card here.
- Fine Hotels and Resorts Program. When you book using www.americanexpressfhr.com you receive 1) room upgrade with late check-out, 2) free breakfast for 2 each day, 3) a special amenity such as spa or restaurant credit, usually valued at $50 or more. Amex claims these benefits are worth $450 or more per stay. The cost of rooms booked via American Express vary — sometimes they are less than directly through the hotel, sometimes less, and often just the same — but in each case you enjoy the Platinum Card benefits only by booking through American Express.
- No foreign transaction fees. All such fees are waived when you use the card while traveling overseas. Your purchases are simply converted at the exchange rate with no additional charge.
- Uber credits. Enjoy $15 in Uber credits for U.S. rides each month plus a bonus $20 in December1, simply because you’re a Platinum Card Member. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings. You also get Uber VIP level status as a Card Member.
- Cruise privileges. When you book a cruise with Celebrity, Crystal, Holland America, Princess, and Seabourne cruises among others, you get a two category room upgrade or a $300 shipboard credit, along with an amenity which is often free dinner for 2 at a premium restaurant and a bottle of premium wine or champagne in your room. You generally have to book through American Express travel, though people have reported Crystal cruises offers $550 in credit for Platinum Card holders regardless of how they book, so long as a Platinum Card is used to pay.
- $100 vacation credit. If you use American Express Travel to book a cruise or vacation package of $3,000 or more you get a $100 statement credit, valid once per year.
- Staples Center Los Angeles Platinum Lounge. If you’re attending a game or event at the Staples Cener in Los Angeles you have access to the Platinum Lounge on Suite Level B — regardles of the type of ticket you hold. Access to the Platinum Lounge for non-suite/premier guests is through the Main Concourse doors to Star Plaza VIP, located next to Team LA. Reports on the lounge say it has good prices for food and drink, but the views are not outstanding, so you’re more likely to enjoy the game at your seat and reserve lounge time for pre-game and during breaks.
- Premium seats program at Madison Square Garden, Staples Center, Home Depot Center. Amex keeps special blocks of tickets available for purchase by Platinum Card holders with premium locations. For Madison Square Garden, limit 4 tickets per game and 8 games per Card member (per sport or event). Quantities are limited. Call 800-321-RSVP (7787), 8am-11pm ET, seven days a week for reservations.
- Preferred seating at Broadway shows. Shows and events at www.americanexpress.com/entertainmentaccess have limited premium seats set aside for card holders, with Platinum Card members getting access to the best when available. To redeem an American Express Preferred Seating offer, enter the 10-digit Customer Service phone number located on the back of your Card when placing your order or look for the ‘American Express Preferred Seating’ link when booking a ticket.
- Platinum Dining Reservations. American Express holds reservations for Platinum Card members at hundreds of fine restaurants and nightclubs. Generally you need to confirm 24 hours in advance, but it can sometimes be helpful in getting reservations not otherwise available to the general public.
- 2x points on Amex travel purchases. You earn 2 points per dollar spent on travel booked at www.americanexpress.com/travel
- 10x points on Amex online shopping mall. Go to www.memershiprewards.com/earn to link to your favorite online shopping merchants and earn 10x Membership Rewards points per dollar spent.
- Purchase Protection. If an item you buy with the Platinum Card is damaged, lost or stolen, Amex will reimburse within 90 days from purchase. Lost items are a unique benefit of the Platinum Card. Simply call the number provided as a member and you can file a claim. Limit: $10,000 per incident, $50000 per year.
- Buyers Assurance. Extend warranties by one year, up to five year warranty
- Best Value Guarantee. If the price of the item drops within 60 days of purchase, Amex will pay you the difference.
- Return Protection. If a merchant doesn’t accept a return, Amex will reimburse you up to 90 days from purchase, $300 per item, $1000 per year
- Baggage insurance. Up to $3,000 in coverage for lost or damaged baggage beyond the airline’s coverage when you use your card to purchase your ticket.
- Travel insurance. $500,000 in coverage in the case of dismemberment or accidental death.
- Roadside assistance. Up to $50 in towing or assistance benefit for each occurrence — call the Amex hotline provided when you get your card. This is valid for both your personal car as well as rentals and borrowed vehicles.
Premium Global Assist
- 1-800-345-AMEX hotline for all travel emergency questions
- Complimentary medical evacuation (Platinum exclusive). If the Global Assist assigned physician deems it medically necessary, American Express will pay for transport for an ill or injured Cardmember or qualified family member travelling abroad back to the United States. If the physician deems this impossible, American Express will pay for transport to the nearest facility the physician deems suitable. This does not cover medical expenses incurred at the facility, only transportation.
- Complimentary repatriation of remains (Platinum exclusive). In the unfortunate, and we hope never experienced by any reader, circumstance that the Cardmember or qualified family member passes away while travelling abroad, American Express will pay for remains to be transported back to the United States.
- Lost passport assistance. Global Assist will work the necessary channels to help you travel again should you lose your passport.
- 24 hour card replacement. American Express can get you a new card within 24 hours and help you cancel all accounts, even competitors’, in the event you lose your wallet.
- Emergency hotel check-in. American Express can front the credit needed to check you into a hotel in the event you lose your cards.
Other resources to consider
Spending a big annual fee on a card is worth some time to consider. For many it is well worth it, but we offer the following additional resources to help understand whether it is worthwhile for you:
- Current intro bonus points offer. Available on our main Platinum Card review page, updated as the bonus offers change.
- Platinum Card ‘to-do’ list. From the frequent flyer community at FlyerTalk.com, discussion on things to sign up for and learn once you receive your card.
- Cruise benefit discussion. From the frequent flyer community at FlyerTalk.com, discussion on cruise related benefits, including up to $550 in onboard credit with Crystal Cruises for using the Platinum Card.
- Fine Hotels and Resorts discussion. From the frequent flyer community at FlyerTalk.com, reports of benefits and upgrades received from hotels booked through the Fine Hotels and Resorts program.
Disclaimer: This content is not provided or commissioned by the company whose products are featured on this site. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or evaluations provided here are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the Advertiser. This site may be compensated through the Advertiser’s affiliate programs.
The following two tabs change content below.
Miles dont expireas long as card is open
50,000 bonus miles